Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Foodhuntress, Guest Speaker

In less than 48 hours I will be back to our good old province to speak before over a thousand people on a graduation ceremony rites from my old elementary school. Oh boy. For the past days, former teachers have been asking me of my whereabouts. I said, gosh, I wasn't even the class valedictorian nor salutatorian nor model student. To be an inspirational speaker is a privilege reserved for highly accomplished people like mayors and prime ministers. Me? I am just a small potato. I was almost about to say that they better trace the real honor students via Facebook.
True, I had been elected class president for a number of years (because of my dictator tendencies), then later was tagged "Extortionist of the Year" because I used to pass around a hat to solicit funds for Christmas Party, but I swear I didn't graduate with honors. Yup, I had almost flunked Math with a 75% pathetic grade on both elementary and high school so I wonder how I could make it to the honors. Another trick of the gods, eh?

Anyway, to prepare, I had been to a spa/ sauna/ jacuzzi last night and got a massage (these are the real treats of life), and today I am composing my speech while looking at these trees bursting with flowers. I look at the sunlight streaming through the branches and realize how beautiful they really are. I will write my speech revolving around all these - rays of sunshine in the wilderness.


All modesty aside, these days when those people ask me what made me successful (ok, if they see it that way then I won't argue), I blush brightly first then blurt out, "Relax and let go." (At the back of my mind I was thinking, "...and don't be afraid to make a fool out of yourself.")

No comments: